Peter J. Carek, MD, MS
Peter J. Carek, MD, MS, CAQSM, FAAFP, DABFM
Professor and Chairman
C. Sue and Louis C. Murray, M.D. Professor in Family Medicine
Community Health and Family Medicine
1600 SW Archer Road Suite N107
Gainesville, FL 32610-3001
Phone: (352) 273-5159
Fax: (352) 273-5213
Peter J. Carek, MD, MS, CAQSM is professor and chair in the Department of Community Health and Family Medicine at the University of Florida. Dr. Carek has authored/co-authored over 70 articles for peer-reviewed journals as well as numerous chapters, monographs and articles for non-peered reviewed journals and has presented over 100 invited presentations and over 50 submitted presentations during meetings of national and international medical organizations. He is the Chair of the ACGME Review Committee for Family Medicine. Dr. Carek was the recipient of the ACGME Parker J. Palmer “Courage to Teach” Award in 2009 and AAFP Nikitas J. Zervanos Outstanding Program Director Award in 2010. His areas of interest include graduate medical education, quality improvement in patient care and medical education, and sports medicine.
Clemson, South Carolina
|MD||Medical University of South Carolina
Charleston, South Carolina
|Residency||Medical University of South Carolina
Charleston, South Carolina
|Fellow||Ohio Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine Clinic
|Primary Care Sports Medicine|
|Fellow||University of Tennessee
|Sports and Occupational Medicine|
|MS||University of Tennessee
|Human Performance and Sports Studies|
Honors and Awards
- Family Practice Management Award for Practice Improvement. Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Conference on Practice Improvement (2015)
- Golden Oyster Faculty Teaching Award, Department of Family Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina (2013)
- Listed in Best Doctors in America (1996-2012)
- Recipient, Nikitas J. Zervanos Outstanding Program Director Award (2010)
- Member, The Gold Humanism Honor Society. Elected (2009)
- Patient’s Choice Recognition (2009)
- Recipient, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) Parker J. Palmer “Courage to Teach” Award (2009)
- Finalist, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) Parker J. Palmer “Courage to Teach” Award (2008)
- Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors’ (AFRMD) 2007 Program Director Recognition Award – Gold Level
- “Unsung Hero.” The Post and Courier. Charleston, SC. September 21st (2003)
- Golden Oyster Faculty Teaching Award, Department of Family Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina (1994)
- South Carolina Chapter of the American Academy of Family Practice – Outstanding Resident, Department of Family Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina (1990)
- Mead Johnson Award for Graduate Education for Family Medicine (1989-1990)
- Housestaff award from medical students for excellence in teaching and concern for student welfare (1988)
- Summa Cum Laude graduate from Clemson University
- Alpha Lambda Delta (National Freshman Honor Fraternity)
- Phi Kappa Phi (National Honor Fraternity)
Certifications and Professional Organizations
- Diplomate of the American Board of Family Medicine
- Certificate of Added Qualifications in Sports Medicine (CAQSM)
- Fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians
- President of the Annals of Family Medicine
- Co-Chair Group on Research in Residency Training
- Chair of the Residency Review Committee for Family Medicine (ACGME)
- Medical Education
- Graduate Medical Education
- Primary Care Sports Medicine
- Exercise and Wellness
- Preventative Medicine
- Quality Improvement in Patient Care
- Marlow NM, Malaty J, Jo A, Tanner RJ, Beu de Rochars VM, Carek PJ, Mainous AG. Hearing Impairment and Undiagnosed Disease: The Potential Role of Clinical Recommendations. J Speech Lang Hear Res 2017 Jan 1;60(1):231-237.
- Mims LD, Porter M, Simpson KN, Carek PJ. The “July Effect”: A Look at July Medical Admissions in Teaching Hospitals. J Am Board Fam Med 2017;30(2):189-95.
- Carek PJ, Anim T, Conry C, Cullison S, Kozekowski S, Ostergaard D, Potts S, Pugno P. Residency training in Family Medicine: A history of innovation and program support. Fam Med 2017;49(4):275-81.
- Agana DF, Porter M, Hatch R, Rubin D, Carek PJ. Job satisfaction among academic family physicians. Fam Med. Accepted, February 2017.
- Bray CS, Carek PJ. Why does my tongue look different? J Fam Pract. Accepted, May 2017.
- Donahue K, Reid A, Baxley E, Carter C, Carek PJ, Robinson M, Newton W. Triple aim is triply tough: Can you focus on three things at once? Submitted, Fam Med. March 2017.
- Harle CA, Listhaus A, Covarrubias C, Schmidt SOF, Mackey S, Carek PJ, Fillingim RB, Hurley RW. Overcoming Barriers to Implementing Patient-Reported Outcomes in an Electronic Health Record: A Case Report. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 2016;23(1):74-79.
- Mims LD, Everard KM, Hall K, Hatch R, Malaty J, Rubin D, Fe Agana D, Carek PJ. Family medicine clerkship directors’ influence on the residency program selection process: A CERA study. Fam Med 2016;48(2):108-13.
- Porter M, Mims L, Garven C, Gavin J, Carek P, Diaz V. International health experiences in Family Medicine residency training. Fam Med 2016;48(2):114-2-.
- Sacino AN, Shuster JJ, Nowicki KW, Carek PJ, Wegman MP, Listhaus A, Gibney JM, Chang LK. Novel application of a reverse triage protocol providing increased access to care in an outpatient, primary care clinic setting. Fam Med 2016;48(2):136-9.
- Carney PA, Conry CM, Mitchell KB, Ericson A. Dickinson WP, Martin JC, Carek PJ, Douglass AB Eiff MP. The Importance of and the Complexities Associated with Measuring Continuity of Care During Resident Training: Possible Solutions Do Exist. Fam Med 2016;48(4): 286-93.
- Carek PJ, Malaty J, Dietrich E, Lombardi J, Porter MB, Blanc P, Samraj G. Addressing hospital readmissions: Impact of Weekly Review. Fam Med 2016;8(48):638-41.
- Mainous AG, Tanner RJ, Scuderi CB, Porter MB, Carek PJ. Prediabetes Screening and Treatment in Diabetes Prevention: The Impact of Physician Attitudes. J Am Board Fam Med 2016;29(6):
- Marlow NM, Malaty J, Jo A, Tanner RJ, Beu de Rochars VM, Carek PJ, Mainous AG. Hearing Impairment and Undiagnosed Disease: The Potential Role of Clinical Recommendations. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. Accepted, July 2016.
- Mims LD, Porter M, Simpson D, Carek PJ. The “July Effect”: A Look at Medical Admissions. J Am Board Fam Med. Accepted, October 2016.
- Carek PJ, Anim T, Conry C, Cullison S, Kozekowski S, Ostergaard D, Potts S, Pugno P. Residency training in Family Medicine: A history of innovation and program support. Fam Med. Accepted, November 2016
- DeCastro A, Carek PJ. Osteoporosis. In Bope ET, Kellerman R (ed). Conn’s Current Therapy 2014. Waltham, MA:Elsevier, in press.
- Dickerson LM, Diaz VA, Jordan J, David E, Chirina S, Goddard JA, Carr, KB, Carek PJ. Satisfaction, Early Removal, and Side Effects Associated With Long-Acting Reversible Contraception. Fam Med. 2013;43(10):701-707.
- Mims L, Mainous AG III, Chirina S, Carek PJ. Do ABFM Board Pass Rates or Additional Curricular Activities Affect Match Rates for Family Medicine Residency Programs? Fam Med. Accepted, September 2013.
- Carek PJ, Dickerson LM, Stanek M, Carter C, Godenick MT, Jebaily GC, Sprague S, Baxley E. Education in quality improvement for practice in primary care (EQuIP-PC) during residency training and subsequent activities in practice. J GME. Accepted July 2013.
- Carek PJ, Geiger W, Oelklaus MW, James W, Karty AM. Impact of reflective learning on physicians’ attitudes and care. J Contem Med Edu 2013:1(3):181-6.
- Peterson L, Diaz VA, Dickerson LM, Player M, Carek PJ. Recent Family Medicine Residency Graduates’ Perceptions of Resident Duty Hour Restrictions. J GME 2013;5(1):31-5.
- Carek PJ. The length of training pilot: Does anyone really know what time it takes? Fam Med 2013;45(3):171-2.
- Post R, Diaz VA, Mainous A, Carek PJ. Factors affecting HPV vaccine use among recent family medicine residency graduates. Fam Med 2013;24(2):90-4.