Larry G. Rooks, MD
Larry G. Rooks, MD
Associate Professor Emeritus
Director for Education and Training Family Medicine at Old Town
25827 SE Highway 19
Old Town, Florida 32680
Phone: (352) 548-0068
Fax: (352) 542-1843
After receiving his B.A. from Florida Southern College and before receiving his M.D. from the University of Florida College of Medicine, Dr. Larry G. Rooks studied Social Ethics at Boston University and Pre-Medicine at the University of Massachusetts. He worked as a veterinary assistant before deciding to matriculate into medical school. During his time is medical school, he worked as a laboratory technologist in the Department of Neonatology at the University of Florida. Dr. Rooks is now an Associate Professor at the Family Medicine at Old Town clinic as well as the Director of the Rural Health Program.
|BA||Florida Southern College
|MD||University of Florida
|Residency||University of Florida
Certifications and Professional Organizations
- Member – Florida Academy of Family Physicians
Honors and Awards
- Honorary Member – Society of Teaching Scholars (2012-present)
- Exemplary Teacher Award – University of Florida College of Medicine (2011 & 2012)
- Distinguished Teaching Professor – University of Florida Medical Alumni Association (1996)
- Florida Family Physician Educator – Florida Academy of Family Physicians (1995)
- Member – Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
- Faculty Advisor (3rd and 4th year Medical Students)
- Advisor – Rural Practice Elective (4th year Medical Students)
- Faculty Advisor – Medical Student Program
- Rural Medicine
Recent Projects and Grants
- HRS Rural Health Grant
- Rooks LG, Watson RT, Harris JO, “A Primary Care Preceptorship for First Year Medical Students Coordinated by an Area Health Education Centers Program: A Six Year Review” Academic Medicine, May 2001.
- Watson RT, Rooks LG. “The Education of Medical Students: Ten Stories of Curriculum Change, The University of Florida School of Medicine” American Association of Medical Colleges and the Milbank Foundation, 2000.
- Watson RT, Suter S, Romrell L, Harman E, Rooks LG, Meims A, “Moving a Graveyard: How One School Prepared the Way for Continuous Curriculum Renewal” Academic Medicine, vol 73, September 1998.
- Rooks LG, Duerson MC, Rathe RJ. “Introduction of a Three Week Primary Care Preceptorship into the First Semester of Medical School” Academic Medicine, Published May 1994.