Robert L. Hatch, MD
|Robert L. Hatch, MD
Professor, Director of Medical Education
Harrell Medical Education Building Admissions Office
1104 Newell Drive
Gainesville, FL 32601
(352) 273-5157 Fax: (352) 392-7349
Dr. Hatch is a Professor and the Director of the H. James Free Center for Primary Care Education and Innovation. He serves as the Clerkship Director of the Family Medicine and Ambulatory Care Clerkship at the University of Florida, College of Medicine. He matriculated at the University of California, Davis where he received a B.A. in Chemistry and a B.S. in Zoology. Dr. Hatch attended medical school at the University of California, Los Angeles where he received his medical degree and a Master’s degree in Public Health. He was a resident at the Blackstone Family Practice Center at the Medical College of Virginia where he also completed a faculty development fellowship.
Dr. Hatch has written numerous refereed articles and book chapters, is co-author of the book Fracture Management for Primary Care and has given over 50 national presentations. He is internationally known for developing the Spiritual Involvement and Beliefs Scale, which has been used by numerous investigators and translated into six different languages. Dr. Hatch has also been active with the NBME for a number of years and currently serves as Chair of the Family Medicine Subject Exam Task Force.
|MPH||University of California||Public Health|
|MD||University of California||Medicine|
|Residency||Medical College of Virginia
|Fellowship||Medical College of Virginia
Certifications and Professional Organizations
- Board Certified, American Board of Family Practice
- Society of Teaching Scholars
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
- Physicians for a National Health Program
Honors and Awards
- UF College of Medicine Exemplary Teacher, 2003, 2006-2010, 2012-2017
- College of Medicine Clinical Science Teacher of the Year, 2014, 2016
- Ken Kellner, MD, PhD Outstanding Clerkship Director Award, 2016
- Commencement Speaker, UF College of Medicine Graduation, May 2014
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, inducted 2011
- Outstanding Service Award, Equal Access Homeless Clinic, 2011
- Golden Apple Award for Best Third Year Clerkship, 2009, 2011
- Hippocratic Award, 2006, 2010, 2014
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine President’s Award, 2010
- Rural Physician of the Year, 2010
- Gold Humanism Honor Society, 2010
- Distinguished Faculty Service Award, Equal Access Homeless Clinic, 2000, 2008
- Florida Academy of Family Physicians’ Educator of the Year, 2007
- Gender Equality Award, 1995
- Faculty Advisor, Premed American Medical Students Association
- Chair, Clerkship Director’s Committee
- Public Health
- Spirituality and Health
- International Health
- Orthopedic Services
- Substance Use Disorder
- Healthy Living
- Preventative Health Care
- Dermatology Procedures
- Joint Injections.
- Chumley H, Chessman A, Hobbs J, et al. STFM Unveils The National Family Medicine Clerkship Curriculum Website. Ann Fam Med 2012; 275-276.
- Lozano V, Fernandez G, Spencer P, Hatch RL. S. epidermidis in urine is not always benign – case report of pyelonephritis in a child and review of the literature. J Am Board Fam Med 2015;28:151-153.
- Mims LD, Everard K, Hall K, Hatch RL, Malaty J, Rubin D, Agana DF, Carek PJ. Family Medicine Clerkship Directors’ Influence on the Residency Program Selection Process, Fam Med 2016; 48(2):108-13.
- Hatch RL, Dean C. Calcaneus fractures. UpToDate, Rose BD (ed.), UpToDate, Wellesley MA, 2013
- Wilmer E, Hatch RL. Resistant ‘Candidal Intertrigo’: Could Inverse Psoriasis Be the True Culprit? J Am Board Fam Med 2013. 26: 211-214
- Sbicca JA, Hatch RL. “Target Lesions and Other Paintball Injuries.” J Am Board Fam Med, January-February 2012, 25:124-127; doi:10.3122/jabfm.2012.01.110120.
- Eiff MP, Hatch RL. Fracture Management for Primary Care, 3nd Edition, 2012. Elsevier/Saunders, Philadelphia, PA.
- Anadaraj G, Craigi F, Hatch RL, et al. “Towards competency-based curricula in patient-centered spiritual care: recommended competencies for family medicine resident education.” Academic Medicine 2010. 85:1897-1904.
- Hatch RL, Clugston JR, Taffe J. “Clavicle fractures.” UpToDate, Rose BD (ed.), UpToDate, Wellesley MA, 2009.