John G. Gums, PharmD, FCCP
|John G. Gums, PharmD, FCCP
Professor, Department of Pharmacy Practice, College of Pharmacy Family Medicine Residency Program
1707 North Main Street
Gainesville, FL 32609
(352) 265-7001 Fax: (352) 265-9584
Dr. Gums is a Professor of Pharmacy and Medicine in the Departments of Pharmacy Practice and Family Medicine at the University of Florida. He joined the faculty at the University of Florida in 1985, and, since then, he has received Teacher of the Year awards from the University of Florida, Department of Family Medicine twice. He has also been a preceptor for 20 post-doctoral fellows during his time at the department. Additionally, Dr. Gums holds the title of Associate Dean for Clinical Programs in the Department of Pharmacotherapy and Translational Research and Director of Clinical Research in Family Medicine at the University of Florida.
Dr. Gums has authored over 120 publications, 22 continuing education programs, and 26 book chapters. He has given over 100 invited presentations to national and international pharmacy and medical associations. He maintains an active clinical research program and has been a part of over 50 research projects since his start at the University of Florida. Dr. Gums has received nearly $3 million in grant funding since 1985.
|BS||University of Wisconsin-MadisonMadison, Wisconsin||Pharmacy|
|PharmD||Medical University of South CarolinaCharleston, South Carolina||Pharmacy|
|Fellowship||Medical University of South CarolinaCharleston, South Carolina||Family Medicine|
Certifications and Professional Organizations
- Fellow and full member, American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP)
- Primary Care PRN, American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP)
- Phi Lambda Sigma Pharmacy Leadership Society – Iota Chapter
- American Society of Health-System Pharmacists
- Member, National Interdisciplinary Primary Care Practice Based Research Network
- Member, Editorial Board: Pharmacotherapy
Honors and Awards
- Rho Chi Honor Society
- Listed in Strathmore’s Who’s Who in America, 2012
- Exemplary Teacher Award, 2008-2009
- Faculty Recognition Award, 2003
- American College Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP) Clinical Practice Award, 1997
- Teacher of the Year, 1986, 1990
Recent Grants and Projects
- Investigator, Systolic Blood Pressure Intervention Trial (SPRINT) ($17,000)
- Investigator, Collaboration Among Pharmacists and Physicians To Improve Outcomes NOW (CAPTION Study) (National Institutes of Health, $6,407)
- Co-Investigator, Pharmacogenomic Evaluation of Antihypertensive Response (PEAR II) (National Institutes of Health, $139,451)
- Principal Investigator, Inpatient Orthopedic Surgery Outcomes Project ($355,950)
- Turner ST, Boerwindkle E, O’Connell JR, Bailey KR, Gong Y, Chapman AB, Beitelshees AL, Schwartz GL, Gums JG, Padmanabhan S, Hiltvnen TP, Ciherio L, Donner KM, Hedner T, Lanzani C, Melando O, Saarela J, Ripattis, Wahlstrand B, Manunta P, Kuntulak K, Dominiczak AF, Cooper-DeHoff RM, Johnson JA. Genomic Associaton Analysis of Common Variants Influencing Antihypertensive Response to Hydrochlorothiazide. Hypertension 2013;62:391-97.
- McDonough CW, Gillis NK, Alsultan A, Chang SW, Kawaguchi-Suzuki M, Lang JE, Shahin MHA, Buford TW, El Rouby NM, Sá ACC, Langaee TY, Gums JG, Chapman AB, Cooper-DeHoff RM, Turner ST, Gong Y, Johnson JA. Atenolol-Induced HDL-C Change in the Pharmacogenomic Evaluation of Antihypertensive Responses (PEAR) Study. 2013 PLoS One.
- Gong Y, McDonough CW, Beitelshees AL, O’Connell JR, Karnes JG, Turner ST, Chapman AB, Gums JG, Bailey K, Boerwinkle E, Johnson JA, Cooper-DeHoff RM. Prox I Gene Variant is Associated with Fasting Glucose Change After Antihypertensive Treatment. Pharmacotherapy 2013
- Dietrich E, Gums JG. Intranasal Fentanyl Spray (Letter). Ann Pharmacother 2013; 47: doi: 10.1345/aph.1R069C.
- Del-Aguila JL, Beitelshees AL, Cooper-DeHoff RM, Chapman AB, Gums JG, Baley K, Gong Y, Turner ST, Johnson JA, Boerwinkle E. Genome-Wide Association Analyses Suggests NELL1 Influences Adverse Metabolic Response to HCTZ in African Americans. Pharmacogenomics J. 2013, Feb 12 doi: 10.1038/tpj.2013.3
- Gums JG. Changing the Direction of Clinical Pharmacy Outside the United States: Time to Step Up. (Editorial) Pharmacotherapy 2013; 33(2): 122-125.
- McDonough C, Burbage S, Duarte J, Gong Y, Langaee T, Turner S, Gums J, Chapman A, Bailey K, Beitelshees A, Boerwinkle E, Pepine C, DeHoff R, Johnson J. Association of Variants in NEDDAL with Blood Pressure Response and Adverse Cardiovascular Outcomes in Hypertensive Patients Treated with Thiazide Diuretics. J. of Hypertension. 2013. (April); 31(4):698-704.
- Le MT, Lobmeyer MT, Campbell M, Cheng J, Wang Z, Turner ST, Chapman AB, Boerwinkle E, Gums, JG, Gong Y, Johnson RJ, Johnson JA. Impact of Genetic Polymorphisms SLC2A2, SLC2A5, and KHK on Metabolic and Herrodynamic Phenotypes in Hypertensive Individuals. Plus One 2013: 8(1): e52062 doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0052062.