John Malaty, MD
|John Malaty, MD
Associate Professor, Medical Director
Family Medicine Residency Program
1707 North Main Street
Gainesville, FL 32609
(352) 265-7001 Fax: (352) 265-9584
Dr. Malaty received his M.D. from the University of Florida and his B.S. in Biology from Binghamton University, New York. After graduating from Binghamton, Dr. Malaty performed cancer research for 2 years at UF, where he graduated with Honors in Research in 2004. He completed an internship in general surgery and 2 years of ENT training at UF, prior to pursuing residency training in Family Medicine. Dr. Malaty became an Assistant Professor at the Family Medicine Residency Program in 2010. Dr. Malaty is a reviewer for national journals American Family Physician, Family Medicine, Journal of Graduate Medical Education and is also a member of the UF Health Medical Executive Committee. He has also provided input for the national curriculum for PGY-1 FM residents as part focus groups for the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. In addition, Dr. Malaty is an active volunteer physician at the Equal Access Clinic, providing care to the indigent.
Binghamton, New York
|MD||University of Florida
|Internship||University of Florida
|Residency (2 yrs)||University of Florida
|Residency||University of Florida
Certifications and Professional Organizations
- Board Certified, American Board of Family Medicine
- Member, American Academy of Family Physicians
- Member, Florida Academy of Family Physicians
- Member, Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
Honors and Awards
- Exemplary Teacher Award, University of Florida, 2010 – 2015
- Faculty of the Year Teaching Award, 2010 – 2012, 2015
- National Health Service Corp Award – Underserved Patient Care, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Superior Accomplishment Award, Division 5 Level Award, 2012
- Best Educator Clinical Documentation Physician Award, 2011
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine New Faculty Scholars Award – Leadership Potential, 2011
- Outstanding Professionalism Award, 2010
- Society of Teaching Scholars Outstanding Resident Teacher Award, 2010
- Golden Apple Resident Teacher of the Year, 2010
- Shands Customer Service Is Key Award, 2007, 2008
- George T. Singleton, M.D. Award, 2004
- Excellence in Research, 2004
- Procedural Education
- Monthly journal club and teaching evidence based medicine
- Program Review Committee for Graduate Medical Education
- Patient Care Quality Improvement
- Physician Representative for inpatient electronic medical record implementation (EPIC)
- ENT in Primary Care
- Flexible Nasolaryngoscopy
- Dermatologic Procedures
- Neurology in Primary Care
- Malaty J. Medical Management of Chronic Rhinosinusitis in Adults. Sinusitis. 2016 May 28.
- Dieuvil, M., Malaty J. An Uncommon Cause of Acute Encephalopathy in Liver Cirrhosis. BMJ Case Reports. 20 April 2016; doi:10.1136/bcr-2016-214948.
- Malaty J. Take a Breath and Consider the Other’s Perspective. Family Medicine. 2016 March; 48(3): 226-7.
- Mims L.D., Everard K., Hall K., Hatch R., Malaty J., Rubin D., Agana D.F., Carek P.J. Family Medicine Clerkship Directors’ Influence on the Residency Program Selection Process. A CERA Study. Family Medicine. 2016 February. (48) 2: 108-113.
- Dave A, Ludlow J, Malaty J. Thyrotoxicosis: an under-recognised aetiology. BMJ Case Reports. 20 May 2015; doi: 10.1136/bcr-2014-208119.
- Malaty J., Malaty I. Smell and Taste Disorders. American Family Physician. 2013 Dec 15;88(12):852-859.
- Malaty J., Facial and Skull Fractures. Fracture Management for Primary Care, 3rd Edition, 2012, Elsevier Saunders Company, Philadelphia, PA; pages 327-339.
- Malaty J., Antonelli PJ. Effect of Blood and Mucus on Tympanostomy Tube Biofilm Formation. Laryngoscope. 2008; 118 (5): 867-70.