Karen L. Hall, MD
|Karen L. Hall, MD
Professor and Program Director
Family Medicine Residency Program
1707 North Main Street
Gainesville, FL 32609
(352) 265-7001 Fax: (352) 265-9584
Dr. Hall is Professor and Director of the Family Medicine Residency Program at the University of Florida (UF) College of Medicine. Prior to her start at the University of Florida, she served in the United States Army Medical Corps and also served as an emergency department physician. Dr. Hall completed her family medicine residency at UF, and in 1990 became Board Certified in Family Medicine and joined the staff at Community Health and Family Medicine. In 1992 she moved to Charleston, South Carolina where she had dual appointments in Family Medicine and Psychiatry. In 1996 Dr. Hall returned to UF as Program Director of the Community Health and Family Medicine Family Medicine Residency Program.
Dr. Hall has an interest in curriculum development for residents who are training in Family Medicine, quality improvement and general primary care.
|BA||Randolph-Macon Woman’s College
|MD||Eastern Virginia Medical School
|Internship||Letterman Army Medical Center
Presidio San Francisco, California
|Residency||University of Florida
Certifications and Professional Organizations
- Board Certified, American Board of Family Practice
- Member, American Academy of Family Physicians
- Member, Florida Academy of Family Physicians
- Member, Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
- Member, Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors
- Member, AFMRD Committee on Membership and Committee on Education
- Member, Editorial Board: Residency Curriculum Resource, STFM & AFMRD
- Reviewer, The Official Journal of the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine and the North American
- Primary Care Research Group
- Reviewer, JAMA and Archives Journals of the American Medical Association
- Reviewer, Journal of Graduate Medical Education
Honors and Awards
- Nominated for “Best Doctors in America,” 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Superior Accomplishment Award, Division V, 2011
- Exemplary Teacher Award, 2006-2007, 2007-2008, 2009
- Listed in Strathmore’s Who’s Who, 2001-2002
- Listed in International Who’s Who, 2001, 2012
- Listed in Lexington Who’s Who, 2001
- Family Practice Teacher of the Year Award, 1991
- Internal Review Committee, Graduate Medical Education Sub-Committee
- Institutional Committee for Graduate Medical Education
- Member, Resident Education Committee
- Curriculum design
- Adult Psychiatry
- Premenstrual Syndrome
Recent Grants and Projects
- Site Investigator, Pharmacogenomic Evaluation of Antihypertensive Response (PEAR II) (National Institute of Health, $185,313)
- Co-Investigator, The Systolic Blood Pressure Intervention Trial (SPRINT) (National Institutes of Health, $668,160)
- Director, Affordable Care Act: Primary Care Residency Expansion (Health Resources and Services Administration, $1,920,000)
- Investigator, Collaboration Among Pharmacists and Physicians To Improve Outcomes NOW (CAPTION Study) (National Institutes of Health)
- Mazzone M, Wieschhaus M, Abercrombie S, Chacko S, Gravel J, Hall K, Hoekzema G, Maxwell L, Shaffer T, Tuggy M.The nrmp: all-in…And testing the soapy waters? Ann Fam Med. 2012 Jul;10(4):371-2.
- Shaffer T, Tuggy M, Abercrombie S, Chacko S, Gravel J, Hall K, Hoekzema G, Maxwell L, Mazzone M, Wieschhaus M.Education gaps between family physicians and licensed nurse practitioners. Ann Fam Med. 2012 May-Jun;10(3):270-1.
- Shaffer T, Tuggy M, Abercrombie S, Chacko S, Gravel J, Hall K, Hoekzema G, Maxwell L, Mazzone M, Wieschhaus M. Education gaps between family physicians and licensed nurse practitioners. Ann Fam Med. 2012 May-Jun;10(3):270-1.
- Moore MJ, Gong Y, Schmidt S, Hall K, Chapman AB, Langaee TY, Gums JG, Cooper-DeHoff RM, Johnson JA. Antihypertensive Medication Exposure and Adverse Glycemic Effects: An Evaluation of Fasting and Stimulated Glucose. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2012:91(S1):S25.
- Abercrombie S, Hall KL, Chacko S, Gravel J, Joekzema G, Maxwell L, Mazzone M, Shaffer T, Tuggy M, Wieschhaus M. Cleared for Takeoff: The 4-Year Family Medicine Residency Pilot. Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors. Ann Fam Med. January 2012;10:84-85.