Karen L. Hall, MD
Karen L. Hall, MD
Family Medicine Residency Program
1707 North Main Street
Gainesville, FL 32609
Phone: (352) 265-7001
Fax: (352) 265-9593
Dr. Hall is a full Professor of the Family Medicine Residency Program at the University of Florida (UF) College of Medicine. Prior to her start at the University of Florida, she served in the United States Army Medical Corps and also served as an emergency department physician. Dr. Hall completed her family medicine residency at UF, and in 1990 became Board Certified in Family Medicine and joined the staff at Community Health and Family Medicine. In 1992 she moved to Charleston, South Carolina where she had dual appointments in Family Medicine and Psychiatry.
In 1996 Dr. Hall returned to UF as Program Director of the Community Health and Family Medicine Family Medicine Residency Program where she remained in the postion for over 20 years. Dr. Hall has an interest in curriculum development for residents who are training in Family Medicine, quality improvement and general primary care.
|BA||Randolph-Macon Woman’s College
|MD||Eastern Virginia Medical School
|Internship||Letterman Army Medical Center
Presidio San Francisco, California
|Residency||University of Florida
Certifications and Professional Organizations
- Board Certified – American Board of Family Medicine
- Member – American Academy of Family Physicians
- Member – Florida Academy of Family Physicians
- Member – Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
- Member – Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors
- Member – AFMRD Committee on Membership and Committee on Education
- Reviewer – The Official Journal of the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine and the North American
- Reviewer – JAMA and Archives Journals of the American Medical Association
- Reviewer – Journal of Graduate Medical Education
Honors and Awards
- Nominated for Best Doctors in America (2002-2016)
- Superior Accomplishment Award, Division V (2011)
- Exemplary Teacher Award (2007-2009), (2013-2015)
- Listed in Strathmore’s Who’s Who (2001-2002)
- Listed in International Who’s Who, (2001 and 2012)
- Listed in Lexington Who’s Who (2001)
- Family Practice Teacher of the Year Award (1991)
- Institutional Committee for Graduate Medical Education
- Member – Resident Education Committee
- Curriculum Design
- General Ambulatory Care
- Preventative Medicine
Recent Grants and Projects
- Site Investigator, Pharmacogenomic Evaluation of Antihypertensive Response (PEAR II) (National Institute of Health, $185,313)
- Co-Investigator, The Systolic Blood Pressure Intervention Trial (SPRINT) (National Institutes of Health, $668,160)
- Director, Affordable Care Act: Primary Care Residency Expansion (Health Resources and Services Administration, $1,920,000)
- Investigator, Collaboration Among Pharmacists and Physicians To Improve Outcomes NOW (CAPTION Study) (National Institutes of Health)
- Gong Y, Wang Z, Beitelshees AL, McDonough CW, Langaee TY, Hall K, Schmidt SO, Curry RW, Gums JG, Bailey KR, Boerwinkle E, Chapman AB, Turner ST, Cooper-DeHoff RM, Johnson JA. Pharmacogenomic Genome-Wide Meta-Analysis of Blood Pressure Response to β-Blockers in Hypertensive African Americans. Hypertension. Hypertension 2016 Mar;67(3):556-63 doi: 10 1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.115 06345. Epub 2016 Jan 4
- Mims L, Everard K, Hall K, Hatch R, Malaty J, Rubin D, Agana D, Carek P. Family Medicine Clerkship Directors’ Influence on the Residency Program Selection Process: A CERA Study. Fam Med 2016 Feb;48(2):108-13 PMID:26950781
- Gong Y, McDonough CW, Beitelshees AL, El Rouby N, Hiltunen IP, O’Connell JR, Padmanabhan S, Langee TY, Hall K, Schmidt SOF, Curry RW, Gums JG, Donner KM, Kontula KK, Bailey KR, Boerwinkle E, Takahashi A, Tanaka T, Kubo M, Chapman AS, Turner ST, Pepine CJ, Cooper-Dehoff RM, Johnson JA, PTPRD Gene Association with Blood Pressure Response to Atenolol and Resistant Hypertension. J Hypertens 2015 Nov;33(11):2278-85. doi: 10.1097/HJH 0000000000000714 PubMed PMID: 26425837
- Mazzone M, Wieschhaus M, Abercrombie S, Chacko S, Gravel J, Hall K, Hoekzema G, Maxwell L, Shaffer T, Tuggy M.The nrmp: all-in…And testing the soapy waters? Ann Fam Med. 2012 Jul;10(4):371-2.
- Shaffer T, Tuggy M, Abercrombie S, Chacko S, Gravel J, Hall K, Hoekzema G, Maxwell L, Mazzone M, Wieschhaus M.Education gaps between family physicians and licensed nurse practitioners. Ann Fam Med. 2012 May-Jun;10(3):270-1.
- Shaffer T, Tuggy M, Abercrombie S, Chacko S, Gravel J, Hall K, Hoekzema G, Maxwell L, Mazzone M, Wieschhaus M. Education gaps between family physicians and licensed nurse practitioners. Ann Fam Med. 2012 May-Jun;10(3):270-1.
- Moore MJ, Gong Y, Schmidt S, Hall K, Chapman AB, Langaee TY, Gums JG, Cooper-DeHoff RM, Johnson JA. Antihypertensive Medication Exposure and Adverse Glycemic Effects: An Evaluation of Fasting and Stimulated Glucose. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2012:91(S1):S25.
- Abercrombie S, Hall KL, Chacko S, Gravel J, Joekzema G, Maxwell L, Mazzone M, Shaffer T, Tuggy M, Wieschhaus M. Cleared for Takeoff: The 4-Year Family Medicine Residency Pilot. Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors. Ann Fam Med. January 2012;10:84-85.