James R. “Jay” Clugston, MD, CAQSM
|James R. “Jay” Clugston, MD, CAQSM
Student Health Care Center
P.O. Box 117500
Gainesville, FL 32611-7500
(352) 392-1161 Fax: (352) 392-9625
Dr. Clugston is board certified in family medicine and holds a certificate of added qualification in sports medicine. He serves as a team physician for the University of Florida Athletic Association with primary responsibility for football, men’s basketball, men’s tennis, and men’s golf. He founded the UF Sports Medicine Fellowship in 2006 and currently serves as the program’s assistant director. His research interests are focused on concussion management, and he is principal investigator for several ongoing concussion research studies. He also currently serves on the Southeastern Athletic Conference (SEC) Working Group on Concussion and the Arena Football League Concussion Task Force. A former collegiate runner, Dr. Clugston enjoys fitness and outdoor activities as well as spending time with his wife, son, and dog.
Davidson, North Carolina
|MS||University of Florida
|MD||University of Florida
|Residency||Tallahassee Memorial Hospital
|Fellowship||South Bend Indiana Sports Medicine Institute and the University of Notre Dame||Sports Medicine|
Certifications and Professional Organizations
- Board Certified, American Board of Family Practice
- Certificate of Added Qualifications in Sports Medicine
- Member, American College of Sports Medicine
- Member, American Medical Society for Sports Medicine
- Member, American Academy of Family Practice
Honors and Awards
- University Superior Accomplishment Award, University of Florida, 2010
- Faculty Superior Accomplishment Award, University of Florida, 2010
- Resident Teacher Award, Society of Teachers of Family Medicine, 2000
Recent Books and Publications
- Edenfield KM, Clugston J, Moser M, Pass A, Beard N. “Shoulder injury – football.” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 43(5) supplement S. May 2011.
- Henderson J, Clugston J, Patel N, Wierzbicki J. “Ten years of lower leg pain.” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 42(5) supplement S132. May 2010.
- Padilla CA, Clugston J, Dillon M. “Acute onset of palpitations and dyspnea – swimmer” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 41(5) supplement S162. May 2009.
- Hatch RL, Clugston J, Taft J. “Clavicle Fractures.” In: UpToDate, Rose, BD (Ed), UpToDate, Walham, MA, 2009.