James R. “Jay” Clugston, MD, CAQSM
|James R. “Jay” Clugston, MD, CAQSM
Student Health Care Center
P.O. Box 117500
Gainesville, FL 32611-7500
(352) 392-1161 Fax: (352) 392-9625
James R. Clugston, MD, graduated from medical school at the University of Florida College of Medicine before going on to complete his residency in Family Medicine at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital and fellowship in Sports Medicine at the Notre Dame Sports Medicine Fellowship in South Bend, Indiana. Dr. Clugston serves as a clinical associate professor in the department of Community Health and Family Medicine, team physician for the University of Florida Athletic Association, and assistant director of the UF Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship – a fellowship he founded in 2007 and directed until 2011. In addition to his work with the fellowship and UF athletic teams, Dr. Clugston oversees concussion care at the UF Student Health Sports Concussion Center and is involved in multiple concussion related research projects.
Davidson, North Carolina
|MS||University of Florida
|MD||University of Florida
|Residency||Tallahassee Memorial Hospital
|Fellowship||South Bend Indiana Sports Medicine Institute and the University of Notre Dame||Sports Medicine|
Certifications and Professional Organizations
- Board Certified, American Board of Family Practice
- Certificate of Added Qualifications in Sports Medicine
- Member, American College of Sports Medicine
- Member, American Medical Society for Sports Medicine
- Member, American Academy of Family Practice
Honors and Awards
- University Superior Accomplishment Award, University of Florida, 2010
- Faculty Superior Accomplishment Award, University of Florida, 2010
- Resident Teacher Award, Society of Teachers of Family Medicine, 2000
- Concussion Care
- Collins MW, Kontos AP, Okonkwo DO, Almquist J, Bailes J, Barisa M, Bazarian J, Bloom OJ, Brody D, Cantu R, Cardenas J, Clugston J, Cohen R, Echemendia R, Elbin RJ, Ellenbogen R, Fonseca J, Gioia G, Guskiewicz K, Heyer R, Hotz G, Iverson GL, Jordan B, Manley G, Maroon J, McAllister T, McCrea M, Mucha A, Pieroth E, Podell K, Pombo M, Shetty T, Sills A, Solomon G, Thomas DG, Valovich McLeod TC, Yates T, Zafonte R. Statements of Agreement From the Targeted Evaluation and Active Management (TEAM) Approaches to Treating Concussion Meeting Held in Pittsburgh, October 15-16, 2015. Neurosurgery. 2016 Oct 12. PubMed PMID: 27741219.
- Houck Z, Asken B, Bauer R, Pothast J, Michaudet C, Clugston J. Epidemiology of Sport-Related Concussion in an NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision Sample. Am J Sports Med. 2016 Sep;44(9):2269-75. PubMed PMID: 27159307.
- Herman DC, Jones D, Harrison A, Moser M, Tillman S, Farmer K, Pass A, Clugston JR, Hernandez J, Chmielewski TL. Concussion May Increase the Risk of Subsequent Lower Extremity Musculoskeletal Injury in Collegiate Athletes. Sports Med. 2016 Aug 20;PubMed PMID: 27544666.
- Asken BM, McCrea MA, Clugston JR, Snyder AR, Houck ZM, Bauer RM. “Playing Through It”: Delayed Reporting and Removal From Athletic Activity After Concussion Predicts Prolonged Recovery. J Athl Train. 2016 Apr;51(4):329-35. PubMed PMID: 27111584; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4874376.
- Marinides Z, Galetta KM, Andrews CN, Wilson JA, Robinson CD, Herman DC, Smith MS, Bentley BC, Galetta SL, Balcer LJ, Clugston JR. Vision testing is additive to the sideline assessment of sports related concussion. Neurology Clinical Practice. 2015 February; 5(1):25-34.
- Zaremski JL, Herman DC, Clugston JR, Hurley RW, Ahn AH. Occipital neuralgia as a sequela of sports concussion: a case series and review of the literature. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2015 Jan;14(1):16-9. PubMed PMID: 25574876; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4475344.
- Smith MS, Friedman WA, Smith KB, Pass AN Sr, Clugston JR. Intracranial arteriovenous malformation in a college football player and return-to-play considerations. Clin J Sport Med. 2014 Nov;24(6):e62-4. PubMed PMID: 24389627.