James R. “Jay” Clugston, MD, CAQSM
|James R. “Jay” Clugston, MD, CAQSM
Student Health Care Center
P.O. Box 117500
Gainesville, FL 32611-7500
(352) 392-1161 Fax: (352) 392-9625
Dr. Clugston is board certified in family medicine and holds a certificate of added qualification in sports medicine. He serves as a team physician for the University of Florida Athletic Association with primary responsibility for football, men’s basketball, men’s tennis, and men’s golf. He founded the UF Sports Medicine Fellowship in 2006 and currently serves as the program’s assistant director. His research interests are focused on concussion management, and he is principal investigator for several ongoing concussion research studies. He also currently serves on the Operating Committee for the NCAA-DoD Concussion Awareness Research Education (CARE) Consortium, the Southeastern Athletic Conference (SEC) Working Group on Concussion and the Arena Football League Concussion Task Force. A former collegiate runner, Dr. Clugston enjoys outdoor activities as well as spending time with his family.
Davidson, North Carolina
|MS||University of Florida
|MD||University of Florida
|Residency||Tallahassee Memorial Hospital
|Fellowship||South Bend Indiana Sports Medicine Institute and the University of Notre Dame||Sports Medicine|
Certifications and Professional Organizations
- Board Certified, American Board of Family Practice
- Certificate of Added Qualifications in Sports Medicine
- Member, American College of Sports Medicine
- Member, American Medical Society for Sports Medicine
- Member, American Academy of Family Practice
Honors and Awards
- University Superior Accomplishment Award, University of Florida, 2010
- Faculty Superior Accomplishment Award, University of Florida, 2010
- Resident Teacher Award, Society of Teachers of Family Medicine, 2000
- Edenfield KM, Stern AN, Dillon MC, Burkart TA, Clugston JR. A case of vasovagal syncope in a collegiate swimmer during competition. Current Sports Medicine Reports. 2015. 14(2):86-90.
- Rossidis G, Perry A, Abbas H, Motamarry I, Lux T, Farmer K, Moser M, Clugston J, Caban A, Ben-David K. Laparoscopic hernia repair with adductor tenotomy for athletic pubalgia: an established procedure for an obscure entity. Surgical Endoscopy. 2015. 29(2):381-6.
- Zaremski JL, Herman DC, Clugston JR, Hurley RW, Ahn AH. Occipital neuralgia as a sequelae of sports concussion: a case series and review of the literature. Current Sports Medicine Reports. 2015. 14(1):16-19.
- Marinides Z, Galetta KM, Andrews CN, Wilson JA, Robinson CD, Herman DC, Smith MS, Bentley BC, Galetta SL, Balcer LJ, Clugston JR. Vision testing is additive to the sideline assessment of sports related concussion. Neurology – Clinical Practice. February 2015. 5(1):25-34. pub ahead of print July 9, 2014.
- Smith MS, Friedman WA, Smith KB, Pass AN, Clugston JR. Intracranial arteriovenous malformation in a collegiate football player and return to play considerations. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine. 2014. 24(6): e62-64.
- Wierzbicki JM, Henderson JH, Scarborough MT, Bush CH, Reith JD, Clugston JR. Intramuscular hemangiomas. Sports Health. 2013. 5(5): 448-54.