Charles E. Byrd, PhD
Charles E. Byrd, PhD
Adjunct Assistant Professor
Family Medicine at Springhill
4197 NW 86th Terrace, Suite 2201
Gainesville, FL 32606
Phone: (352) 265-9475
Fax: (352) 265-9476
Dr. Charles E. Byrd is a licensed clinical psychologist in the State of Florida. He earned his masters in 2001 and his doctorate in 2004, both from the University of Florida. Dr. Byrd’s specializations include psychological evaluation, differential diagnosis, treatment planning, and psychotherapeutic intervention with children, adults, and families. Utilizing his expertise in psychology, Dr. Byrd serves as the President and CEO of the Center for Assessment, Strategic Planning, Evaluation and Research (CASPER).
As an affiliate faculty member with the Department of Psychology in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences; and as an adjunct professor with the Department of Community Health and Family Medicine in the College of Medicine at the University of Florida. Dr. Byrd consults with a number of organizations across five states (Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, and New York), including: Brevard, Franklin, Palm Beach, Sarasota, and Volusia County School Districts; Charter Schools USA; Educate Today; and Alpha Best Education.
He is an active member of the Medical Reserve Corps; Citizen Diplomat for the United States Department of State, Argentinean Consulate to Geneva; and has served as a Grant Reviewer for the United States Department of Education, the New York Department of Education and the Florida Department of Education. Dr. Byrd has authored numerous publications, and has served as principal investigator, co-principal investigator, or authored some grants totaling $40,768,813 since 2004. He serves on many governing boards and participates in some professional associations including elected memberships in the American Psychological Association and the Society of Behavioral Medicine. Dr. Byrd’s primary clinical interests are ADHD, anxiety disorders, child and adolescent issues, depression, and schizophrenia.
|Internship||Connecticut Valley Hospital
|PhD||University of Florida
|MS||University of Florida
|BA||University of North Florida
Certifications and Professional Organizations
- Elected Member – American Psychological Association
- Elected Member – Society of Behavioral Medicine
- Member – American Association for Health, PE, Recreation and Dance
- Member – American Evaluation Association
- Member – Florida After School Alliance
- Member – Florida Educational Association
- Member – National After School Association
Honors and Awards
- Award of Excellence” for Outstanding Leadership – Florida After School Alliance (2008)
- University of Florida 2008 Superior Accomplishment Award – Faculty/Division III (2008)
- Above and Beyond Award – Florida Department of Education (2007)
- Researcher Award, College of Health and Human Performance (2005)
- Presidential Recognition for Outstanding Achievement and Contributions to University of Florida (2004)
- Outstanding Researcher Award – University of Florida (2003)
- Award for Outstanding Contribution to Cultural Sensitivity – UF Behavioral Medicine Team (2003)
- Outstanding Leadership Award in Health Psychology – UF Counseling Psychology Program (2003)
- The National Society of Collegiate Scholars (2002)
- Student Travel and Research Award – UF Department of Psychology (2002)
- Outstanding Leadership Award – UF Counseling Psychology Program (2002)
- Outstanding Leadership in Research Award – UF Behavioral Medicine Team (2002)
- Phi Kappa Phi, International Academic Honor Society (2001)
- J. Hillis Miller Presidential Fellowship, University of Florida (1999-2003)
- Summa Cum Laude, University of North Florida (1997)
- Byrd, C. E. & Vinson, T. S. (2008). David Weschler: A biography. In F. T. L. Leong (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Counseling Psychology. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Byrd, C. E. & Vinson, T. S. (2008). Achievement testing in the 21st Century: Current status and future directions. In F. T. L. Leong (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Counseling Psychology. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Byrd, C. E., Zhang, J. J., Bian, W., & Lam, E. T. C. (2007). Preference, offering, attendance, and satisfaction: Adult participation in activities provided in community centers (Abstract). Research Quarterly for Exercise & Sport, 78(1), A39.
- Byrd, C. E., Zhang, J. J., Carroll, M., & Lam, E. T. C. (2007). Parents’ evaluation of the quality of after school enrichment programs (Abstract). Research Quarterly for Exercise & Sport, 78(1), A38.
- Anxiety Disorders
- Child and Adolescent Issues
- The impact of structured youth programs and youth sport on communities, families, and students
- Culturally-sensitive organizational management in youth-focused settings
- Program evaluation and development of youth programs
- Psychological predictors of adherence to medical regimen