Peter J. Carek, MD, MS
Peter J. Carek, MD, MS, CAQSM, FAAFP, DABFM
Professor and Chairman
C. Sue and Louis C. Murray, M.D. Professor in Family Medicine
Community Health and Family Medicine
1600 SW Archer Road Suite N107
Gainesville, FL 32610-3001
Phone: (352) 273-5159
Fax: (352) 273-5213
Peter J. Carek, MD, MS, CAQSM is professor and chair in the Department of Community Health and Family Medicine at the University of Florida. Dr. Carek has authored/co-authored over 70 articles for peer-reviewed journals as well as numerous chapters, monographs and articles for non-peered reviewed journals and has presented over 100 invited presentations and over 50 submitted presentations during meetings of national and international medical organizations.
He is the Chair of the ACGME Review Committee for Family Medicine. Dr. Carek was the recipient of the ACGME Parker J. Palmer “Courage to Teach” Award in 2009 and AAFP Nikitas J. Zervanos Outstanding Program Director Award in 2010. His areas of interest include graduate medical education, quality improvement in patient care and medical education, and sports medicine.
|MS||University of Tennessee
|Human Performance and Sports Studies|
|Fellow||University of Tennessee
|Sports and Occupational Medicine|
|Fellow||Ohio Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine Clinic
|Primary Care Sports Medicine|
|Residency||Medical University of South Carolina
Charleston, South Carolina
|MD||Medical University of South Carolina
Charleston, South Carolina
Clemson, South Carolina
Honors and Awards
- Recipient, Thomas W. Johnson Award for Career Contributions to Family Medicine Education – American Academy of Family Physicians (2019)
- Plenary Speaker, Gator Healthcare Forum. “Challenges and Opportunities for our Primary Care Workforce.” (2018)
- Recipient, F. Marian Bishop Leadership Award – Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (2017)
- Plenary Speaker, The Rural Training Track (RTT) Collaborative. “Navigating the Rapids: Engaging in Community Scholarship.” (2017)
- Visiting Professor, Department of Family Medicine, University of West Virginia College of Medicine. (2016)
- Inductee, Cooper River Bridge Run Hall of Fame. (2016)
- Keynote Speaker, Fellowship Forum (Pre-Conference). “Update from the RC-FM.” 2016 American Medical Society for Sports Medicine Annual Meeting. (2016)
- Family Practice Management Award for Practice Improvement – Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Conference on Practice Improvement (2015)
- Keynote Speaker, Fellowship Forum (Pre-Conference). “Update from the RC-FM.” 2015 American Medical Society for Sports Medicine Annual Meeting. (2015)
- Keynote Speaker, “Fellowship Forum: Update from the RC-FM.” 2014 American Medical Society for Sports Medicine Meeting. New Orleans, LA. April 2014.
- Keynote Speaker, “Core Curricular Development: Progressing from the Beginning, Transitioning in the Process.” 2014 American Medical Society for Sports Medicine Meeting. (2014)
- Golden Oyster Faculty Teaching Award – Department of Family Medicine at Medical University of South Carolina (2013)
- Listed in Best Doctors in America (1996-2012)
Certifications and Professional Organizations
- Diplomate of the American Board of Family Medicine
- Certificate of Added Qualifications in Sports Medicine (CAQSM)
- Fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians
- President of the Annals of Family Medicine
- Co-Chair Group on Research in Residency Training
- Chair of the Residency Review Committee for Family Medicine (ACGME)
- Medical Education
- Graduate Medical Education
- Primary Care Sports Medicine
- Exercise and Wellness
- Preventative Medicine
- Quality Improvement in Patient Care
- Marlow NM, Malaty J, Jo A, Tanner RJ, Beu de Rochars VM, Carek PJ, Mainous AG. Hearing Impairment and Undiagnosed Disease: The Potential Role of Clinical Recommendations. J Speech Lang Hear Res 2017 Jan 1;60(1):231-237.
- Mims LD, Porter M, Simpson KN, Carek PJ. The “July Effect”: A Look at July Medical Admissions in Teaching Hospitals. J Am Board Fam Med 2017;30(2):189-95.
- Carek PJ, Anim T, Conry C, Cullison S, Kozekowski S, Ostergaard D, Potts S, Pugno P. Residency training in Family Medicine: A history of innovation and program support. Fam Med 2017;49(4):275-81.
- Agana DF, Porter M, Hatch R, Rubin D, Carek PJ. Job satisfaction among academic family physicians. Fam Med. Accepted, February 2017.
- Bray CS, Carek PJ. Why does my tongue look different? J Fam Pract. Accepted, May 2017.
- Donahue K, Reid A, Baxley E, Carter C, Carek PJ, Robinson M, Newton W. Triple aim is triply tough: Can you focus on three things at once? Submitted, Fam Med. March 2017.
- Harle CA, Listhaus A, Covarrubias C, Schmidt SOF, Mackey S, Carek PJ, Fillingim RB, Hurley RW. Overcoming Barriers to Implementing Patient-Reported Outcomes in an Electronic Health Record: A Case Report. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 2016;23(1):74-79.
- Mims LD, Everard KM, Hall K, Hatch R, Malaty J, Rubin D, Fe Agana D, Carek PJ. Family medicine clerkship directors’ influence on the residency program selection process: A CERA study. Fam Med 2016;48(2):108-13.
- Porter M, Mims L, Garven C, Gavin J, Carek P, Diaz V. International health experiences in Family Medicine residency training. Fam Med 2016;48(2):114-2-.
- Sacino AN, Shuster JJ, Nowicki KW, Carek PJ, Wegman MP, Listhaus A, Gibney JM, Chang LK. Novel application of a reverse triage protocol providing increased access to care in an outpatient, primary care clinic setting. Fam Med 2016;48(2):136-9.
- Carney PA, Conry CM, Mitchell KB, Ericson A. Dickinson WP, Martin JC, Carek PJ, Douglass AB Eiff MP. The Importance of and the Complexities Associated with Measuring Continuity of Care During Resident Training: Possible Solutions Do Exist. Fam Med 2016;48(4): 286-93.
- Carek PJ, Malaty J, Dietrich E, Lombardi J, Porter MB, Blanc P, Samraj G. Addressing hospital readmissions: Impact of Weekly Review. Fam Med 2016;8(48):638-41.
- Mainous AG, Tanner RJ, Scuderi CB, Porter MB, Carek PJ. Prediabetes Screening and Treatment in Diabetes Prevention: The Impact of Physician Attitudes. J Am Board Fam Med 2016;29(6):
- Marlow NM, Malaty J, Jo A, Tanner RJ, Beu de Rochars VM, Carek PJ, Mainous AG. Hearing Impairment and Undiagnosed Disease: The Potential Role of Clinical Recommendations. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. Accepted, July 2016.
- Mims LD, Porter M, Simpson D, Carek PJ. The “July Effect”: A Look at Medical Admissions. J Am Board Fam Med. Accepted, October 2016.
- Carek PJ, Anim T, Conry C, Cullison S, Kozekowski S, Ostergaard D, Potts S, Pugno P. Residency training in Family Medicine: A history of innovation and program support. Fam Med. Accepted, November 2016