R. Whit Curry, Jr., MD
R. Whit Curry, Jr., MD
Community Health and Family Medicine
1600 SW Archer Road
Gainesville, FL 32610-3001
Dr. Curry has been a faculty member with the Department of Community Health and Family Medicine since 1977 and was appointed as Chairman in 1992 serving in that role until October 2013. He was Residency Program Director from 1982 to 1991. He has won several teaching awards as Teacher of the Year, has been listed in The Best Doctors in America since 1995, and received certificates of recognition from the American Academy of Family Physicians Foundation and the Florida Medical Association.
Dr. Curry is the medical health adviser for Health in a Heartbeat, a nationally syndicated radio broadcast; a reviewer for Journal of the American Board of Family Practice; a member of the editorial board for the Journal of Family Practice; and medical editor for various articles and newsletters. He has given numerous presentations and workshops on multiple topics on the national, state, and local level. He has over forty articles published in refereed journals, in addition to two books, many book chapters, monographs, and a variety of miscellaneous publications. Dr. Curry is a Fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians and American College of Physicians, a member of the Florida Academy of Family Physicians Board of Directors, a member of the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine, Chairman of the Student Health Advisory Board, and Medical Director of Shands Occupational Health Services.
|Fellowship||University of Florida
Palo Alto, California
Durham, North Carolina
|BS||University of Florida
Certifications and Professional Organizations
- American College of Physicians
- Society for Teachers of Family Medicine
- Alachua County Medical Society
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- Alachua County Community Health Improvement Plan Steering Committee
- American Academy of Family Physicians Foundation, Joint AAFP/F-AAFP Grant Awards Council
- Scholarship Advisory Committee for the Pisacano Scholars Program
Honors and Awards
- Listed in Best Doctors in America: 1996, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Named in “Top Doctors’” by U.S. News and World Reports (2012)
- Listed in Consumers’ Research Council of America’s Guide to America’s Top Physicians (2003, 2007, 2008)
- Listed in Who’s Who in the World, 15th and 16th Edition.
- Listed in Who’s Who in the South and Southwest, 26th Edition.
- Florida Medical Association – Certificate of Recognition (May 1997)
- Listed in Who’s Who in Medicine, 1st Edition (1997)
- Listed in The Best Doctors in America: Southeast Region (1995)
- Finalist for the Business Press Association Jesse Neal Award (January 1991)
- The American Academy of Family Physicians Foundation and The American Academy of Family Physicians, Grant Awards Council, Certificate of Recognition (1990-92, 1995, 1996)
- Teacher of the Year – University of Florida (1978 & 1980)
- Phi Beta Kappa – University of Florida (1967)
- Cardiology and Diabetes
- General Medicine
- Health Maintenance
- Preventative Services
Recent Projects and Grants
- Principal Investigator – UF AHEC Tobacco Training and Cessation Program (Florida Department of Health $100,000)
- Co-Principal Investigator – PEARII: Pharmacogenomic Evaluation of Antihypertensive Responses (National Institutes of Health, $2,064,000)
- Co-Principal Investigator – Rural Residency Track (Health Resources and Services Administration $1,920,000)
- Principal Investigator – CoagMax in Patients on Coumadin Therapy (Microvisk Technologies, Ltd. $22,250)
- Curry RW, Medication Therapy Management: A Pharmacotherapy and Medication System Primer, “Physician Perspective on Medication Therapy Management,” McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 2013; 14 pages.
- Johnson JA, Boerwinkle E, Zineh I, Chapman AB, Bailey K, Cooper-DeHoffRM, Gums JG, Curry RW, Gong Y, Beitelshees AL, Schwartz G, Turner ST. “Pharmacogenomics of antihypertensive drugs: Rationale and design of the Pharmacogenomic Evaluation of Antihypertensive Responses (PEAR) Study,” American Heart Journal, Vol. 157, No. 3, March 2009, 442-449.
- Curry RW, Cotter SJ, Campbell, KM. “The University of Florida’s Commitment to Recruit Family Physicians,” Florida Family Physician, Spring 2009, pg 26-27.
- Tucker CM, Mirsu-Paun A, Van den Berg JJ, Ferdinand L, Jones JD, Curry RW, Rooks LG, Walter TJ, Beato C. “Assessments for Measuring Patient-Centered Cultural Sensitivity in Community-Based Primary Care Clinics,” Journal of the National Medical Association, Vol. 99, No. 6, June 2007, 609-619.