Robert L. Hatch, MD, MPH
Robert L. Hatch, MD, MPH
Professor and Director of Medical Education
Harrell Medical Education Building Admissions Office
1104 Newell Drive
Gainesville, FL 32601
Phone: (352) 273-5157
Fax: (352) 392-7349
Dr. Robert L. Hatch is a professor and the director of the H. James Free Center for Primary Care Education and Innovation. He serves as the clerkship director of the Family Medicine and Ambulatory Care Clerkship at the University of Florida, College of Medicine. He matriculated at the University of California, Davis where he received a Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry and a Bachelor of Science in Zoology. Dr. Hatch attended medical school at the University of California, Los Angeles where he received his medical degree and a Master’s degree in Public Health. He was a resident at the Blackstone Family Practice Center at the Medical College of Virginia where he also completed a faculty development fellowship.
Dr. Hatch has written numerous refereed articles and book chapters, is co-author of the book Fracture Management for Primary Care and has given over 50 national presentations. He is internationally known for developing the Spiritual Involvement and Beliefs Scale, which has been used by numerous investigators and translated into six different languages. Dr. Hatch has also been active with the NBME for a number of years and currently serves as Chair of the Family Medicine Subject Exam Task Force.
|Fellowship||Medical College of Virginia
|Residency||Medical College of Virginia
|MD||University of California||Medicine|
|MPH||University of California||Public Health|
Certifications and Professional Organizations
- Board Certified – American Board of Family Practice
- Physicians for a National Health Program
- Society of Teaching Scholars
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
Honors and Awards
- Simon Doff Visiting Professorship – UF Jacksonville (2018)
- UF College of Medicine Exemplary Teacher (2003, 2006-2010, 2012-2017)
- Keynote Speaker – UF College of Medicine White Coat Ceremony (2016)
- College of Medicine Clinical Science Teacher of the Year (2014 and 2016)
- Ken Kellner, MD, PhD Outstanding Clerkship Director Award (2016)
- Commencement Speaker – UF College of Medicine Graduation (May 2014)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society (Inducted 2011)
- Outstanding Service Award – Equal Access Homeless Clinic (2011)
- Golden Apple Award for Best Third Year Clerkship (2009 and 2011)
- Hippocratic Award (2006, 2010 and 2014)
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine President’s Award (2010)
- Rural Physician of the Year (2010)
- Gold Humanism Honor Society (2010)
- Distinguished Faculty Service Award – Equal Access Homeless Clinic (2000 and 2008)
- Florida Academy of Family Physicians’ Educator of the Year (2007)
- Gender Equality Award (1995)
- Faculty Advisor – Premed American Medical Students Association
- Chair – Clerkship Director’s Committee
- Public Health
- Spirituality and Health
- International Health
- Orthopedic Services
- Substance Use Disorder
- Healthy Living
- Preventative Health Care
- Dermatology Procedures
- Joint Injections
- Eiff MP, Hatch RL. Fracture Management for Primary Care, Updated 3nd Edition, 2018. Elsevier/Saunders, Philadelphia, PA.
- Agana DG, Porter M, Hatch R, Rubin D, Carek PJ. Job Statisfaction Among Academic Family Physicians. Fam Med 2017; 49(8):622-5
- Porter M, Malaty J, Rubin D, Agana DF, Hatch R, Seehusen D, Carek PJ. Seeking quality and attracting candidates: Residency program directors’ perceptions. Educ Res Appl. 2017; 8: 1-6.
- Mims LD, Everard K, Hall K, Hatch RL, Malaty J, Rubin D, Agana DF, Carek PJ. Family Medicine Clerkship Directors’ Influence on the Residency Program Selection Process, Fam Med 2016; 48(2):108-13.
- Lozano V, Fernandez G, Spencer P, Hatch RL. S. epidermidis in urine is not always benign – case report of pyelonephritis in a child and review of the literature. J Am Board Fam Med 2015;28:151-153.
- Hatch RL, Dean C. Calcaneus fractures. UpToDate, Rose BD (ed.), UpToDate, Wellesley MA, 2013
- Wilmer E, Hatch RL. Resistant ‘Candidal Intertrigo’: Could Inverse Psoriasis Be the True Culprit? J Am Board Fam Med 2013. 26: 211-214
- Chumley H, Chessman A, Hobbs J, et al. STFM Unveils The National Family Medicine Clerkship Curriculum Website. Ann Fam Med 2012; 275-276.
- Sbicca JA, Hatch RL. “Target Lesions and Other Paintball Injuries.” J Am Board Fam Med, January-February 2012, 25:124-127; doi:10.3122/jabfm.2012.01.110120.
- Eiff MP, Hatch RL. Fracture Management for Primary Care, 3nd Edition, 2012. Elsevier/Saunders, Philadelphia, PA.
- Anadaraj G, Craigi F, Hatch RL, et al. “Towards competency-based curricula in patient-centered spiritual care: recommended competencies for family medicine resident education.” Academic Medicine 2010. 85:1897-1904.
- Hatch RL, Clugston JR, Taffe J. “Clavicle fractures.” UpToDate, Rose BD (ed.), UpToDate, Wellesley MA, 2009.