Danielle Nelson, MD, MPH
Danielle Nelson, MD, MPH
Assistant Professor and Assistant Medical Director
Family Medicine at Main
Family Medicine Residency Program
1707 North Main Street
Gainesville, FL 32609
Phone: (352) 265-9593
Fax: (352) 265-9584
Dr. Danielle Nelson joined the University of Florida College of Medicine in September 2016 as Assistant Professor in the Department of Community Health and Family Medicine. Dr. Nelson will be working at our Family Medicine Residency Program and will see patients at our Family Medicine – Main location. Dr. Nelson received her B.S. from the University of California, San Diego, and M.D. and M.P.H. from Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston.
Dr. Nelson served as medical director of the Valley Health Center, Milpitas in California as well as Interim Chair for the Family Medicine Department of the Santa Clara Valley Medical Center (SCVMC). She was named the “Preceptor of the Year” in 2015 for her outstanding work at Stanford University Medical School Family Medicine core clerkship. She has been a lecturer for women’s health and served on the curriculum committee for the Internal Medicine residency at SCVMC. She has authored/co-authored a perspective in the New England Journal of Medicine, a chapter in the Atlas of Pediatrics in the Tropics and Resource-limited Settings, and an eBook titled, “Cholera Outbreak Training and Shigellosis Program (COTS Program). A novel approach to preparing for outbreaks in emergency settings.”
Dr. Nelson speaks French and Spanish. Her areas of interest include resident education, women’s health, chronic disease management, group visits, under-served medicine and medical education.
|BS||University of California
San Diego, California
|MD, MPH||Tufts University Medical School
|Medicine, Global Health|
|Residency||Lawrence Family Medicine Residency
Certifications and Professional Organizations
- American Board of Family Medicine – Board Certified
- Resident Education
- Women’s Health
- Chronic Disease Management
- Group Health Visits
- Under-served Communities
- Medical Education
- Schmidt S.O, Rahmanian K.P, Hagen H, Gilbert L, Feller D, Malaty J, Porter M, Hall K, Nelson D, Costain J, Bielick L, Chang K, Carek P.J, Samraj G. Implementing Multidisciplinary Chronic Pain Management Training in a Family Medicine Residency Program: Improving Patient Care and Resident Education. Family Medicine. Submitted February 19, 2018.
- Nelson D; Medically Complex Contraception. Florida Family Physician 2017 Summer Vol 66 Issue 2, pp.8-11.
- Baldonado A, Hawk O, Ormiston T, Nelson D; Transitional Care Management in the Outpatient Setting. BMJ Quality Improvement Reports 2017; Presented at Primary Care Innovations Conference March 10, 2017
- Nelson EJ, Nelson D, Salam MA, Sack DA; Antibiotics for both moderate and severe cholera: N Engl J Med. 2011 Jan 6;364(1):5-7
- Kauk, DS, Nelson D, Cholera, In: Atlas of Pediatrics in the Tropics and Resource-limited Settings, Spector, J, Gibson, T, eds. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2009, pp. 65-68.
- Kauk DS, Nelson D, et al… Cholera Outbreak Training and Shigellosis Program (COTS Program). A novel approach to preparing for outbreaks in emergency settings. EBook Copyright (www.cotsprogram.org.): International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh. 2008.