John Malaty, MD
John Malaty, MD
Associate Professor and Medical Director
Family Medicine Residency Program
1707 North Main Street
Gainesville, FL 32609
Phone: (352) 265-7001
Fax: (352) 265-9584
Dr. John Malaty received his M.D. from the University of Florida and his B.S. in Biology from Binghamton University, New York. After graduating from Binghamton, Dr. Malaty performed cancer research for 2 years at UF, where he graduated with Honors in Research in 2004. He completed an internship in general surgery and 2 years of ENT training at UF, prior to pursuing residency training in Family Medicine. Dr. Malaty became an Assistant Professor at the Family Medicine Residency Program in 2010.
Dr. Malaty is a reviewer for national journals American Family Physician, Family Medicine, Journal of Graduate Medical Education and is also a member of the UF Health Medical Executive Committee. He has also provided input for the national curriculum for PGY-1 FM residents as part focus groups for the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine. In addition, Dr. Malaty is an active volunteer physician at the Equal Access Clinic, providing care to the indigent.
Binghamton, New York
|MD||University of Florida
|Internship||University of Florida
|Residency (2 yrs)||University of Florida
|Residency||University of Florida
Certifications and Professional Organizations
- American Academy of Family Physicians – Degree of Fellow
- American Board of Family Medicine – Diplomat
- Florida Academy of Family Physicians
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
Honors and Awards
- Exemplary Teacher Award – University of Florida (2010-2016, 2018)
- UF Health Quality and Patient Safety Award (2016)
- Faculty of the Year Teaching Award (2010-2012, 2015)
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Award for Practice Improvement (2015)
- Faculty of the Year Award for Department of Community Health and Family Medicine (2010-2012, 2015)
- National Health Service Corp Award – Underserved Patient Care (2010-2013)
- Superior Accomplishment Award, Division 5 Level Award (2012)
- Procedural Education
- Monthly Journal Club and Teaching Evidence Based Medicine
- Program Review Committee for Graduate Medical Education
- Patient Care Quality Improvement
- Physician Representative for Inpatient Electronic Medical Record Implementation (EPIC)
- ENT in Primary Care
- Flexible Nasolaryngoscopy
- Dermatologic Procedures
- Neurology in Primary Care
- Michaudet C, Malaty J.* Cerumen Impaction. American Family Physician. October 15, 2018; 98(8):525-529.
- Porter M, Malaty J, Michaudet C, Blanc P, Shuster J.J, Carek P.J. Outpatient Referral Rates in Family Medicine. American Journal of Accountable Care. March 8, 2018; 6(1):25-28.
- Porter M, Malaty J, Rubin D, Agana DF, Hatch R, Seehusen D, Carek PJ. Seeking quality and attracting candidates: Residency program directors’ perceptions. Educ Res Appl. 2017; 8: 1-6. doi: 10.29011/2575-7032/100036.
- Michaudet C, Malaty J.* Evaluation of the Patient with Chronic Cough. American Family Physician. November 1, 2017; 96(9):575-580.
- Marlow N.H, Malaty, J, Jo A, Tanner R.J, Beau de Rochars V.M, Carek P.J, Mainous A.G. Hearing Impairment and Undiagnosed Disease: The Potential Role of Clinical Recommendations. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. January 5, 2017; doi: 10.1044/2016_JSLHR-H-15-0373.
- Carek PJ, Malaty J, Dietrich E, Lombardi J, Porter MB, Blanc P, Samraj G. Addressing Hospital Readmissions: Impact of Weekly Meeting. Family Medicine. 2016 September. (48) 8: 638-641.
- Malaty J. Medical Management of Chronic Rhinosinusitis in Adults. Sinusitis. 2016 May 28.
- Dieuvil, M., Malaty J. An Uncommon Cause of Acute Encephalopathy in Liver Cirrhosis. BMJ Case Reports. 20 April 2016; doi:10.1136/bcr-2016-214948.
- Malaty J. Take a Breath and Consider the Other’s Perspective. Family Medicine. 2016 March; 48(3): 226-7.
- Mims L.D., Everard K., Hall K., Hatch R., Malaty J., Rubin D., Agana D.F., Carek P.J. Family Medicine Clerkship Directors’ Influence on the Residency Program Selection Process. A CERA Study. Family Medicine. 2016 February. (48) 2: 108-113.