Marvin A. Dewar, MD, JD
Marvin A. Dewar, MD, JD
Senior Associate Dean – University of Florida
CEO and CMO – UF Health Physicians
PO Box 100354
Gainesville, FL 32610-0302
Phone (352) 265-8309
Fax (352) 265-8077
Dr. Marvin A. Dewar is the senior associate dean at the University of Florida and chief executive officer and chief medical officer of UF Health Physicians, the clinical practice arm of the UF College of Medicine. In this role he is responsible for clinical practice budgeting, the revenue cycle, physician practice operations and facilities, as well as ambulatory quality and safety and electronic medical records. Dr. Dewar also directs the UF Continuing Medical Education program. He completed his medical degree at the University of South Florida College of Medicine and his residency in family medicine at USF’s Halifax Hospital. He subsequently received a law degree from the UF College of Law and is a member of the Florida Bar.
Dr. Dewar is a member of numerous professional organizations. He served on the Florida Governor’s Task Force for Review and Decision of the Tort and Insurance system in Florida. He previously served as UF College of Medicine director of family medicine residency training and he has held numerous positions within UF Health Shands, including vice president of affiliations, medical affairs and business development. He is a frequent lecturer and author on various medical, health law, risk management, patient safety, clinical process improvement and medical ethics topics.
|Residency||Halifax Hospital Medical Center
Daytona Beach, Florida
|JD||University of Florida
|MD||University of South Florida
Honors and Awards
- Listed in The Best Doctors in America (2001-18)
- Listed in The Best Doctors in Florida (2003-14)
- Dean’s Special Support Recognition – University of Florida College of Law Trial Advocacy Program (2012)
Certifications and Professional Organizations
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- American College of Physician Executives
- American College of Legal Medicine
- Florida Academy of Family Physicians
- Florida Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Medical Leadership Institute
- Health Management Academy
- Alliance for Continuing Medical Education
- Health Law
- Family Medicine
- Risk Management
- Patient Safety
- Gruber L, Singer T, Dewar M. Implementing asthma-related quality improvement – everyone has to run their own race. Almanac (Alliance for Continuing Education in the Health Professions). 2016;38(12): 4-8.
- Gruber L, Singer T, Dewar M. Implementing asthma-related quality improvement – establishing a baseline. Alliance Almanac (Alliance for Continuing Education in the Health Professions). 2016;38(6): 6-10.
- Dewar M, Gruber L, Singer T. Planning an asthma-related quality improvement initiative in two group practices. Alliance Almanac (Alliance for Continuing Education in the Health Professions). 2015;37(11): 3-6.
- Rebstock J, Cox PM, Jenkins RC, Dewar, MA, Gruber L, Le-Wendling L. Small Scale Grant Awards Programs: Professional Liability Insurance Partnerships with Providers to Reduce Claims and Improve Patient Safety. Inside Medical Liability. 2014; Quarter 4.