James R. “Jay” Clugston, MD, MS, CAQSM
James R. “Jay” Clugston, MD, MS, CAQSM
Student Health Care Center
P.O. Box 117500
Gainesville, FL 32611-7500
Phone: (352) 392-1161
Fax: (352) 392-9625
Dr. James R. Clugston is an accomplished leader in academic research and medicine. Dr. Clugston graduated from medical school at the University of Florida, completed his residency in family medicine at Tallahassee Memorial Healthcare, and completed a fellowship in sports medicine at the Notre Dame Sports Medicine Fellowship in South Bend, Indiana.
Dr. Clugston currently serves as a clinical associate professor in the Department of Community Health and Family Medicine, as a physician at the Student Health Care Center, as a team physician for the University of Florida Athletic Association, as the director of the Sports Concussion Center at Student Health, and as the program director of the UF Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship – a fellowship which he founded in 2007. In January of 2017, he was awarded a joint appointment as clinical associate professor in the Department of Neurology.
In addition to his clinical work, Dr. Clugston is also heavily involved in various sports- and concussion-related research projects. He is currently working on multiple projects as principal investigator. Dr. Clugston serves as a peer reviewer for several prominent sports medicine journals and he himself has numerous peer-reviewed publications. He is also a nationally recognized speaker and presenter in the field of sports medicine.
|Fellowship||South Bend – Notre Dame Sports Medicine Fellowship
South Bend, Indiana
|Residency||Tallahassee Memorial Hospital
|MD||University of Florida
|MS||University of Florida
Davidson, North Carolina
Certifications and Professional Organizations
- Board Certified – American Board of Family Practice
- Certificate of Added Qualifications in Sports Medicine
- Member – American College of Sports Medicine
- Member – American Medical Society for Sports Medicine
Honors and Awards
- SEC Team Physician of the Year (2018)
- University Superior Accomplishment Award – University of Florida (2010)
- Faculty Superior Accomplishment Award – University of Florida (2010)
- Resident Teacher Award – Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (2000)
- Concussion Care
- Sports Medicine
For the most up to date publications by Dr. Clugston please visit: National Center for Biotechnology Information
- Harmon KG, Clugston JR, Dec K, Hainline B, Herring S, Kane SF, Kontos AP, Leddy JJ, McCrea M, Poddar SK, Putukian M, Wilson JC, Roberts WO. American Medical Society for Sports Medicine Position Statement on Concussion in Sports. British journal of sports medicine. 2019; 53(4):213-225. PubMed [journal] PMID:30705232
- Asken BM, Bauer RM, DeKosky ST, Houck ZM, Moreno CC, Jaffee MS, Weber AG, Clugston JR. Concussion Biomarkers Assessed in Collegiate Student-Athletes (BASICS) I: Normative study. Neurology. 2018; 91(23):e2109-e2122. PubMed [journal] PMID:30404785 PMCID: PMC6282229
- Clugston JR, Chrisman SPD, Houck ZM, Asken BM, Boone JK, Buckley TA, Hoffman NL, Schmidt JD, Kontos AP, Jaffee MS, Harmon KG, Broglio SP, McCrea MA, McAllister TW, Ortega JD. King-Devick Test Time Varies by Testing Modality. Clinical journal of sport medicine : official journal of the Canadian Academy of Sport Medicine. 2018; PubMed [journal] PMID: 30358616
- Collins MW, Kontos AP, Okonkwo DO, Almquist J, Bailes J, Barisa M, Bazarian J, Bloom OJ, Brody D, Cantu R, Cardenas J, Clugston J, Cohen R, Echemendia R, Elbin RJ, Ellenbogen R, Fonseca J, Gioia G, Guskiewicz K, Heyer R, Hotz G, Iverson GL, Jordan B, Manley G, Maroon J, McAllister T, McCrea M, Mucha A, Pieroth E, Podell K, Pombo M, Shetty T, Sills A, Solomon G, Thomas DG, Valovich McLeod TC, Yates T, Zafonte R. Statements of Agreement From the Targeted Evaluation and Active Management (TEAM) Approaches to Treating Concussion Meeting Held in Pittsburgh, October 15-16, 2015. Neurosurgery. 2016 Oct 12. PubMed PMID: 27741219.
- Houck Z, Asken B, Bauer R, Pothast J, Michaudet C, Clugston J. Epidemiology of Sport-Related Concussion in an NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision Sample. Am J Sports Med. 2016 Sep;44(9):2269-75. PubMed PMID: 27159307.
- Asken BM, McCrea MA, Clugston JR, Snyder AR, Houck ZM, Bauer RM. “Playing Through It”: Delayed Reporting and Removal From Athletic Activity After Concussion Predicts Prolonged Recovery. J Athl Train. 2016 Apr;51(4):329-35. PubMed PMID: 27111584; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4874376.
- Marinides Z, Galetta KM, Andrews CN, Wilson JA, Robinson CD, Herman DC, Smith MS, Bentley BC, Galetta SL, Balcer LJ, Clugston JR. Vision testing is additive to the sideline assessment of sports related concussion. Neurology Clinical Practice. 2015 February; 5(1):25-34.