Education & Training
Our University of Florida Family Medicine Residency Program offers broad-based training to physicians who have chosen to dedicate themselves to the medical specialty of family medicine. The program has been designed to promote an integration of biomedical and psychosocial instruction to optimize training in the specialty that provides continuing and comprehensive healthcare to the individual and family.
The University of Florida offers the educational advantages of a superior academic family medicine program. Shands at UF, a vital component of Shands HealthCare, is one of the top 100 integrated healthcare systems in the U.S. Our experienced, physician-teachers are dedicated to promoting the professional and personal support of residents to prepare them for future medical practice aspirations.
Our fully equipped, well-staffed, lively family practice center is the heart of the residency program where residents can refine their clinical and procedural skills while learning practice management.
We look forward to meeting you!
Residency Program Overview
- 27 Residents total (9 residents/year)
- Academically based with opportunities for Innovative Scholarly Activity/Quality Improvement.
- Inpatient Medicine rotation at large tertiary hospital with our own team on a dedicated ward (night float system).
- Family Medicine Center strategically placed to care for an underserved population.
- Team based care to improve continuity of care in the clinic.
- State-of-the-art building with onsite lab, x-ray machine, resident lounge, and shower (with cyclists in mind).
- Participates in the NRMP Main Residency Match (NRMP Program Code: 1824120C0).
Areas of Concentration:
- Sports Medicine
- Care of Women/GYN
- Underserved and Global
- Sports Medicine
- Addiction Medicine
Primary training sites:
Family Medicine Center
- Anticoagulation Consult Service
- Diabetes teaching and patient counseling
- Transition of Care
Social Workers, RN Health Coach, and Therapist:
- Manage patients social/financial/insurance issues
- Easy and immediate access for patient counseling
- Home visits
Other Specialty Clinics:
- Procedure Clinic
- Pain Management Clinic
- Podiatry Clinic
- Sports Medicine Clinic
- Women’s Health Clinic
- Behavioral Health Clinic
|PGY IV (Sports Medicine Fellowship)||$59,839|
|3-4 weeks vacation (Includes time off during Holidays)|
|5 days paid sick leave|
|Moonlighting opportunities: hospitalist shifts and ortho after hours|
|Paid fees for USMLE Step 3, Florida Medical License, ACLS/PALS, and Board Certifications|
|Embroidered lab coats|
|Fully-paid national conferences for presentations|
CME and Stipend
|PGY II||$500 and 5 days|
|PGY III||$750 and 5 days|