The overall goal of the residency program is to provide a superior training experience that emphasizes the development of excellent family physicians who possess an excellent knowledge base coupled with the patient care experience necessary to enter into the environment of modern medical care models with confidence and competence.
The importance of competence is stressed as residents graduate from one PGY level to the next in a well-designed curriculum that builds on foundation knowledge in PGY 1 to solid competence upon graduation.
The program endeavors to promote a healthy balance of work, learning and living for each resident. Our program also stresses the integration of biomedical and psychosocial instruction to optimize training in the specialty that provides continuing and comprehensive healthcare to the individual and family.
Consider the following advantages:
- A true University based residency program that offers superior academics and fiscal stability, coupled with a world class medical system and hospital. Shands HealthCare is one of the top 100 integrated health systems in the nation. The residency inpatient service is located on its own floor within the hospital.
- Faculty who are all Board Certified in Family Medicine.
- Great residents! Our most valuable resource, a bright, energetic and unified group of colleagues who help make residency training a stimulating experience.
- Consultant specialists and subspecialists, including an on-site clinical psychologist, doctors of pharmacy, a masters level social worker and Board Certified Psychiatrist.
- A brand new Family Medicine Center designed to meet the needs of the Patient Centered Medical Home that also houses resident work and lounge areas, a state of the art conference space, specialty areas such as procedure rooms, OB room, laboratory, and ECG and radiology spaces as well as small and group counseling rooms.
- Areas of Concentration in Family-Centered Perinatal Care and Sports Medicine.
- Block didactics that “bring residents home” each Wednesday afternoon with catered lunch.
- Superior fringe benefit package as well reimbursement for USMLE III, licensure and Board Certification Exams.
- Excellent educational opportunities for family including undergraduate, graduate and PhD programs at UF and excellent local schools for children.
- An abundance of Florida sunshine in a major university setting, offering a myriad of cultural, recreational and entertainment activities, enjoy the great outdoors with hiking, biking, tubing clear springs, boating on lakes the Gulf and the Atlantic.
- Easy access to major attractions—without having to live there and suffer the traffic! Disney 2.5 hours to the south, the Gulf, 2 hours to the west, Atlantic beaches and Historic St. Augustine, 2 hours to the east.
- Continues to rank as one of the best places to live in the United States. Ranked #1 place to live in North America (Cities Ranked and Rated, 2007).
- The beautiful landscape and urban “forest” provides plenty of opportunities to stay active and healthy. There are multiple biking and running trails, water springs and rivers!
- Gulf breezes make summer days pleasantly warm, nights comfortably cool, & produces dry and mild winters.
- Great place to make long lasting friends and become a part of the Gator Nation!
- The University of Florida invented the popular Gatorade drink in 1965.
- Average of 2,800 hours of sunshine annually
- June average high temperature: 90° F and January average high temperature: 66° F.
- Located within 2 hours of St. Augustine, Tampa Bay, Orlando and Jacksonville.
- Population: ~253,451 (county-wide) and 127,488 (city-wide)
Additional information regarding House Staff Benefits can be found here.