The overall goal of the UF residency program is to provide a well-rounded training experience that emphasizes the development of excellent family physicians capable of providing quality care to diverse patient populations. The importance of competence is stressed as residents graduate from one PGY level to the next in a well-designed curriculum that builds on foundational knowledge started in the first year. Our residents graduate with the confidence and knowledge base to practice medicine in all types of healthcare settings.
The program endeavors to promote a healthy balance of work, learning and living for each resident. Our program also stresses the integration of biomedical and psychosocial instruction to optimize training in the specialty that provides continuing and comprehensive healthcare to the individual and family.
Consider the following advantages:
- A true University based residency program that offers superior academics and fiscal stability, coupled with a world class medical system and hospital. Shands HealthCare is one of the top 100 integrated health systems in the nation
- Experienced faculty who are all Board Certified in Family Medicine.
- We are part of an innovative curriculum model that emphasizes the resident experience in the ambulatory setting. To this end, we are dedicated to having the best clinical experience possible for our residents.
- An updated Family Medicine Center designed to facilitate team-based care with specialty areas such as procedure rooms, laboratory, and radiology spaces as well as small group counseling rooms. We have OB, procedure, sports, pain management, behavioral health, and podiatry clinics as well as group visits!
- Our clinic serves a predominantly underserved patient population on the east side of Gainesville. We have behavioral health counseling, a social worker, and RN health coach to help provide care for our patients.
- Residents can choose to participate in an Area of Concentration (AOC) in Sports Medicine, Women’s’ Health (OB and/or GYN), Underserved and Global Health, and/or Academic Medicine.
- Block didactics that “bring residents home” each Wednesday afternoon with catered lunch.
- Excellent educational opportunities for family including undergraduate, graduate and PhD programs at UF and excellent local schools for children.
- An abundance of Florida sunshine in a major university setting, offering a myriad of cultural, recreational and entertainment activities. You can enjoy the great outdoors with hiking, biking, tubing clear springs, boating on lakes in the Gulf and the Atlantic.
- Easy access to major attractions without having to live there and suffer the traffic! Disney is about 2 hours to the south with beaches about 1.5 hours on either side of us.
- Continues to rank as one of the best places to live in the United States. Ranked #1 place to live in North America (Cities Ranked and Rated, 2007).
- The beautiful landscape and urban “forest” provides plenty of opportunities to stay active and healthy. There are multiple biking and running trails, water springs and rivers!
- The University of Florida invented the popular Gatorade drink in 1965.
- Average of 2,800 hours 224 days of sunshine annually
- June average high temperature: 90° F and January average high temperature: 66° F.
- Located within 2 hours of St. Augustine, Tampa Bay, Orlando and Jacksonville.
- Population: ~253,451 266,944 (county-wide) and 127,488 132,249 (city-wide)
Additional information regarding House Staff Benefits can be found here.